In 1894, a seventh generation
Amwell Valley resident, Charles Holcombe, together with a
partner, Edward H. Wilson, established Holcombe Funeral Home in
Ringoes, NJ. In that era, all funeral services and visitations
were held in the family home of the deceased or a church,
so the funeral home office was established in Charles Holcombes'
home in Ringoes.
In 1910, Mr. Holcombe purchased a home on Church Street in
Flemington, NJ where he operated the firm until 1934 when
he purchased the home at 147 Main Street, Flemington. The
funeral home has been located there since 1934 and the firm
is now the fifth oldest continuously owned family funeral
home in New Jersey.